Brilliant maps for smart innovators
Develop with Bing Maps
Microsoft Bing Maps is a high-level enterprise cloud solution hosted on Azure for cloud access, big-data scalability, speed, and world-class data security, with 99.9% SLAs and free access to technical support.
Added to your data as the visualisation layer, Microsoft Bing Maps delivers brilliant maps and location intelligence to enable smart technology developers to create innovative people-centred services and solutions for improved quality of life, sustainability, and services.
Microsoft has announced the Bing Maps SDK for Android and the Bing Maps SDK for iOS are V1 Ready for Production. Contact Grey Matter to discuss your use case and get started:+44 (0)1364 655 133
Truck Routing API
Fleet and transportation managers know that professional transportation has specific requirements. The Bing Maps Truck Routing API calculates routes customised for trucks and commercial vehicles using a series of waypoints and attributes. The routes take into consideration the height, weight, and length of the vehicle, and include information such as special route instructions, travel distance and travel duration.
- Route optimisation to avoid potentially dangerous situations such as low or narrow bridges, sharp turns, steep gradients
- Ensure safety and compliance with optimisation for HAZMAT and legal restrictions
- Predictive traffic information to determine the best day and time for deliveries, particularly to areas that tend to be congested
- More accurate ETAs for improved delivery times and customer service
The Bing Maps Isochrone API calculates the area that can be travelled to within a specified distance or time and creates a polygon to visualise the shape of that area on a map. Use this API to plan the area that can be reached from a designated starting point within a required time.
By adding business intelligence data such as demographics, the Isochrone API can reveal patterns, behaviours and trends. For example, quickly see where your competitors are within a 10-minute walk, drive, or bus ride.
- Municipality transit planning based on criteria such as population and amenity locations
- Targeted proximity marketing by business owners/retailers to customers within a specific drive time and walk time
- Used in conjunction with Bing Maps Transit Routing, job hunters can determine commute time with different types of transport
Distance Matrix API
Looking to develop a solution for a Travelling Salesman problem or Vehicle Routing problem? The Bing Maps Distance Matrix API calculates travel time and distances for a matrix of many starting points and destinations, visualising routes to help you make better route planning decisions.
Times are based on predictive traffic information, and distance matrices are calculated using different modes of transportation, such as driving, walking and public transit routes. This API can also generate an optional histogram of travel times over a set time period.
- Identify where a retail business should open their next location to optimise daily deliveries
- Help a school district select optimal bus stop locations for their school bus fleets
- Scheduling and job assignment for a business providing a mobile solution such as Uber-style e-hailing transportation services
Snap to Road API
Ideal for asset tracking and fleet management solutions, the Snap to Road API takes GPS data points in the form of latitude and longitude and forms a route snapped to the roads on a map. Similar to reverse geocoding, the information returned on road segments includes the names of the roads that the GPS points are associated with and their posted speed limits.
Users can request that the points be interpolated, resulting in a path that smoothly follows the geometry of the road.
- Track each driver’s daily route
- Trace routes for fuel efficiency and expense cost analysis
- Boost customer satisfaction with accurate arrival time updates
- Road safety data is collected based on driver behaviour, where road quality feedback can be sent to municipalities
Multi-Itinerary Optimisation (MIO) API
Whether you have a fleet of drivers, mobile salesforce, or a team of personnel in the field, effectively planning and optimising routes is a high priority. The MIO API takes away time-consuming manual itinerary management by automating the scheduling process and optimising routes across multiple destinations for multiple agents.
- Optimise destinations for freight delivery routes within given time restrictions and avoid empty returns
- For time-critical call outs, minimise the gaps between service calls by determining team member locations and the best route preferences with predictive traffic data
- For ride-share applications, stay within time restrictions and reduce fuel costs by identifying the best order of each driver’s route
Maps SDK for 3D Mixed Reality Maps
A map control for Unity, Maps SDK provides an off-the-shelf 3D map and customisable controls, along with the building blocks for creative mixed reality map experiences.
Developers can drag the map control into a Unity scene to build on an out-of-the-box map complete with 3D terrain and configurable city and location labels sourced from Bing Maps, rather than start from scratch and create their own. From there, they can overlay additional geo-anchored content that users can explore via a table-top map experience with built-in panning, zooming, and navigation tools.
Maps SDK is now available via GitHub. The sample experience, Outings, is a UWP app for mixed reality headsets and HoloLens.
Complete the form for an obligation-free trial key or to discuss your use case:
Why use Bing Maps?
Bing Maps makes location intelligence and data visualisation richer and more interactive with accurate, high-resolution imagery.
Available in more than 200 countries, including China, Microsoft Bing Maps is helping businesses everywhere become smarter.