With an expanded power and reach, SQL Server 2016 delivers data faster, faster queries, and new levels of performance and scale from on-premises to cloud, providing businesses with the benefit of powerful new technologies.
The comprehensive data platform has everything built-in, from advanced analytics to unparalleled in-memory performance. New features include JSON support for building modern apps, Stretch Database for reducing storage costs while keeping your data always warm, significantly faster Geospatial Query support, Temporal Tables for travelling back in time, and a Query Store for ensuring performance consistency.
- Enhanced online transaction processing (OLTP) for faster queries and transactions to enable mission-critical applications.
- Enhanced database security with new Always Encrypted technology to keep data protected at rest and in motion without impacting performance.
- End-to-end mobile BI to transform data into actionable insights, delivered on any device (online or offline).
- In-database advanced analytics using R Services for sophisticated real-time analysis without moving the data.
Click image to enlarge
SQL Server 2016 is available in four main editions, each designed to accommodate various workload scenarios, from supporting a small Line of Business application, all the way up to being able to support mission-critical applications demanding the very peak of performance and efficiency.
- Express Edition for deploying small databases, and building desktop/small server data-driven applications, destined for production.
- Standard Edition for core data management and business intelligence.
- Enterprise Edition for high priority mission-critical Tier-1 workloads.
- Developer Edition for use in a development and testing setting only. No production data is permitted with use of this edition.
Note: Business Intelligence has now been retired. Existing customers, with Active Software Assurance, are entitled to migrate to the Enterprise edition, under a Server and Client Access Licence model. Web edition is still available, but only under SPLA.