Visual Studio 2013 enables developers to build applications for all Microsoft platforms from one powerful IDE. Supporting native development with Visual C++ or .NET development with Visual Basic .NET, C# or F#, it covers a range of technologies including Windows Forms, ASP.NET, ASP.NET MVC, Silverlight, WPF, Windows Azure, SQL Server, Microsoft Office, SharePoint and Windows Phone.
For greatest value, buy Visual Studio together with an MSDN Subscription and get development and testing licenses of up to 11 terabytes of Microsoft software, free Azure credit, free technical support incidents and more (features dependent on edition purchased).
Save 35% on Visual Studio Test Professional with MSDN
Save 35% on Visual Studio Test Professional 2013 with MSDN until June 30 2014. The promotion is available on all major Volume Licensing Programs including Open, Open Value, Select and EA.
For more information on this promotion, or to buy, please contact us.
Documents & Downloads
» Visual Studio 2013 Licensing Guide
What's new in Visual Studio 2013
Innovative features for greater developer productivity
Support for Windows 8.1 App Development
- Introduces more than 400 modified icons with greater differentiation and increased use of color, a redesigned Start page, and other subtle design changes throughout Visual Studio.
- New productivity features include automatic bracket completion, the ability to move code lines or blocks using keyboard shortcuts, and in-line navigation.
- Easily switch the behaviour of the scroll bar between two modes to help with working with large code files. In bar mode, you can view annotations such as your caret position, change your location and track errors more directly. In map mode, the scroll bar shows a live preview of source code as well as the ability to hover over code to preview it in greater detail within a tooltip.
- CodeLens (Code Information Indicators) in Visual Studio 2013 uses information from both your project metadata and Team Foundation Server 2013 to place decorators on each of the methods in your code that show information such as what changesets led to the creation or recent change, who was the last person to work on the code, what unit tests cover the method (including the latest pass/fail state) and what code references exist.
- Visual Studio 2013 will also automatically synchronise settings across your devices utilising the Connected IDE experience. Synchronised settings include categories such as keyboard shortcuts, Visual Studio appearance (theme, fonts, etc.) and more.
Web Development Advancements
- Support for Windows Store app development in Windows 8.1 includes many updates to the tools, controls and templates, new Coded UI test support for XAML apps, UI Responsiveness Analyzer and Energy Consumption profiler for XAML & HTML apps, enhanced memory profiling tools for HTML apps and improved integration with the Windows Store.
Create Modern Business Apps for Office 365
- The One ASP.NET vision unifies your web project experience in Visual Studio 2013 so that you can create ASP.NET web applications using your preference of ASP.NET component frameworks in a single project. Easily create hybrid applications that include improved versions of ASP.NET WebForms, MVC or Web API, all in a single project.
- Visual Studio 2013 connects Visual Studio to one or more open modern browsers in an interactive development experience to keep them in synch with your markup changes without needing manual browser refreshes.
Debugging and Optimisation Improvements
- With Visual Studio 2013, you can create and manage modern business applications that extend the Office 365 experience to help people interact with business processes, artifacts, and other systems.
Expanded ALM Capabilities
- The new Performance and Diagnostics hub in Visual Studio 2013 provides a unified experience for various tools available in Visual Studio. The hub also makes it easy to identify the performance and diagnostic tools that work with your project and enables you to quickly start using them to improve your application.
- Memory Dump Analyzer in Visual Studio 2013 makes it easier for you to diagnose memory problems in production environments by analysing .NET memory heap dumps right from Visual Studio.
- When debugging 64-bit .NET 4.5.1 applications in Visual Studio 2013, you can now 'edit-and-continue' just as you do with 32-bit managed applications.
- In Visual Studio Ultimate 2013, you can diagnose errors and performance issues in apps monitored by System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager.
- In addition to features that improve support for C++11, such as delegating constructors, raw string literals, explicit conversion operators, and variadic templates alongside ¿just my code¿ debugging in Visual Studio 2013 makes working with C++ even better.
- With Agile Portfolio Management you can manage large and complex workloads in an agile way. You can define a hierarchy of backlogs to understand the scope of work across several teams and see how that work rolls up into broader initiatives.
- Team rooms provide an area for fostering and capturing communication among team members, both near and far. In a Team Room you can discuss work in progress, ask questions, share status, and clarify issues as they arise.
- Team Foundation Server 2013 now supports Git repositories.
Visual Studio can be purchased as a boxed (retail) product or on a volume licensing scheme. Individual development tools are licenced per user as are MSDN subscriptions. With an MSDN subscription, one person can use the software to design, develop, test, or demonstrate his or her programs on any number of devices. Each person who uses the software this way needs a license.
For further information on Visual Studio and MSDN subscription licensing, please contact us.
Visual Studio 2013 Professional
Visual Studio Professional 2013 can help you create applications that have innovative user experiences that delight your customers. The integrated environment makes complex tasks easier so that you can focus on achieving your goals. By using Visual Studio Professional 2013, you can deliver quality applications on Windows, Windows Phone, Office, the web, or the cloud.
The Professional Edition can also be purchased with an MSDN Subscription which provides Team Foundation Server (with one client access licence), test and development licenses of Windows, Windows Server and SQL Server, a range of Windows Azure benefits, 2 free technical support incidents and 1 free Microsoft e-learning collection.
Visual Studio 2013 Premium
Whether you are writing code, planning, testing, debugging, or managing applications, you can use the powerful tools in Visual Studio Premium 2013 to increase productivity and enable seamless collaboration in your development team to continuously deliver high-quality applications across devices or the cloud.
The Premium Edition's MSDN Subscription provides all the features of the Professional Edition's MSDN Subscription, plus additionally provides production use licences of Office Professional Plus, test and development licenses of Office, Dynamics, all other Microsoft Server products (SharePoint, Exchange etc.), a range of Windows Azure benefits, 4 free technical support incidents and 2 free Microsoft e-learning courses.
Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate
Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 is the state-of-the-art development solution that empowers teams of all sizes to design, create and modernise scalable applications that span devices and services. A simplified development solution enables all roles involved in a software project to create the high-quality, mission-critical software your company depends on.
The Ultimate Edition's MSDN Subscription provides all the features of the Premium Edition's MSDN Subscription, plus includes Visual Studio Feature Packs that provide additional functionality exclusively to MSDN Ultimate subscribers.
Visual Studio 2013 Test Professional
A special edition of Visual Studio designed for testers (The Test Professional Edition cannot develop applications). The Test Professional Edition comes with:
- Numerous testing tools including manual testing, exploratory testing and test case management
- Lab management tools for creating virtual test environments.
The Test Professional Edition comes with a full MSDN Subscription which provides Team Foundation Server and 1 Client Access Licence (CAL) to access it, test and development licenses of Windows, Windows Server and SQL Server, 2 free technical support incidents and 1 free Microsoft e-learning collection.
Supported operating systems
- Windows 7 SP1 (x86 and x64)
- Windows 8 (x86 and x64)
- Windows 8.1 (x86 and x64)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (x64)
- Windows Server 2012 (x64)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (x64).
- 1.6 GHz or faster processor
- 1 GB of RAM (1.5 GB if running on a virtual machine)
- 10 GB of available hard disk space
- 5400 RPM hard disk drive
- DirectX 9-capable video card that runs at 1024 x 768 or higher display resolution.